The Davis Family

The Davis Family
The Davis Family Loves, Laughs, Learns, Lives Together Forever

click here to learn more...

by Leelou Blogs

Thursday, March 25, 2010

babies don't keep

BABIES DON'T KEEP
Mother, oh Mother,
come shake out your cloth,
empty the dustpan,
poison the moth,
hang out the washing
and butter the bread,
sew on a button and make up a bed.
Where is the mother whose house
is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery,
blissfully rocking.
Oh, I've grown shiftless as Little
Boy Blue (lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
(pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo).
The shopping's not done
and there's nothing for stew
and out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
but I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo.
Look! Aren't her eyes the most wonderful hue?
(lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).
The cleaning and scrubbing
will wait till tomorrow,
for Children grow up,
as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs.
Dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep......
~Author Unknown ~

2 comments:

kcooke said...

Ok Charity..I am crying now too. I think you hit the nail on the head...you cannot do it ALL and do it WELL. When Monty was in his accident I had a real eye opener to that. Now instead of worrying (well I am trying not to) about the unending list of to do's, I am trying to put what truly matters at then end of the day first in my priorities. I hope you know Charity, you are an amazing Mother, Wife, Sister-in-law, friend and person. Don't be so hard on yourself :)

Charity said...

thanks Kara! Life has it's way of giving us a helping hand in keeping things in perspective. As a post script: I had a great day the next day, I was able to find balance between housework and mothering and that vacuum cleaner cord finally got wrapped up where it was supposed to!