The Davis Family

The Davis Family
The Davis Family Loves, Laughs, Learns, Lives Together Forever

click here to learn more...

by Leelou Blogs

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Bountiful Baskets

Bountiful Baskets is a food Co-op that provides a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables for great prices. You don't choose what you want, you get what you get, and I like that cause it forces me to introduce new stuff to my kids, and learn how to incorporate it into my meals. Pictured below is what I got from my basket purchase on Saturday, it ended up being 33 lbs which equals 50 cents a lb. (16.50$Flat rate every week) What a Deal! The contents are as follows: yams, brown asian pears, squash, grape tomatoes, cameo apples, brocolli, Romaine lettuce, celery, bananas, blood oranges, pummellos (sweet grapefruit like fruit), baby peeled carrots. This will last our family 2 weeks. I might need to pick up some more bananas. Oh, and every time the baskets are different.
Why is Snack J making applesauce in February? Well, by the end of the day, I was starting to question it myself! However I was not able to put up enough applesauce in the fall due to time limits, with the starting of school...ect...ect and every time I had to buy applesauce at full price at the grocery store, I got upset, therefore when Bountiful Baskets offered a box of Granny Smith's at .46c/lb. I had to jump. I wasn't even able to sign up in my city, because I signed up too late, but drove my 3 kids at 7:30 in the morning to Uintah to pick it up, determined as I was to stop paying full price for applesauce, and homemade is so much better!
I ended up making 7 jars and decided to dry the rest, utilizing my pampered chef apple peeler corer slicer and newish dehydrator they are soooo good!



I took a gamble and tried out the Bountiful Baskets 9 grain bread. The reviews were great, and I am so glad I did. It comes in a set of 5 loaves, for 10$. The bread has a sweet honey taste and is slightly chewy, not dry! (Which is what most store wheat breads tend to be, IMHO)


I was hoping a closeup would help you see how moist the bread is, but I'm afraid you'll just have to believe me, or come over for a slice!




1 comment:

Kim said...

Hi Charity! Thanks so much for the info on Bountiful Baskets! I'm excited to try it. I think it will help us try new foods and eat more fresh food.